Answer the following questions on a sheet of paper. Write your name and Exercise #2 in the upper right hand corner.
1. Visit each of the Key Site links you will find listed below these questions. Describe what you find and the resources in each site (ie, what does the site offer in terms of information, software, data, services, etc.)? Be specific (in other words drill down and explore.) Treat NCGIA and Spatial@UCSB as one exploration.
2. Visit four other sites in my list (one site from the first and third category and two from the 2nd category below.) Again describe each site in some detail (paragraph or two?). Be sure to get well beyond the homepage!
GIS Industry (Look at two sites from this area, in different
categories. I.e., Software and Data, or Data and Organizations)
3. Find TWO additional mapping and GIS related Web resources. You may want to explore areas of GIS application that relate to your work, school subjects, or passions. Use links from the home pages listed here or use your Web Browser to find more information (see section 3 below).
C. USGS-Home Page (United States Geologic Survey Site - Earth Data)
D. NCGIA (National Center for Geographic Information and Analysis) & Spatial@UCSB (NCGIA successor)
- GIS Organizations, Programs, and Applications
- National Geographic Online
- CGIA (California Geographic Infomation Association)
- CIRGIS Colloborative (Channel Islands Regional GIS Collaborative)
- URISA (Urban and Regional Information Systems Association)
- NSGIC (National States Geographic Information Council)
- Nova Scotia Community College - professional Geospatial (Geomatics) programs
- USC Online Masters in GIS
- Penn State Online GIS Masters
- ESRI: University Program
- ESRI Schools & Libraries Program
- ESRI Canada Schools and Libraries Program
- Federal Geographic Data Committee
- Certifiying GIS Professionals(GISP)
- Ventura County GIS
- My Wonderful World (National Geographic's and other organizations attempt to spread geographic knowledge)
MapInfo WWW Site ESRI - Home of The GIS People Intergraph GeoMedia IDRISI Autodesk Map 3D Caliper (Maptitude) ERDAS (Image processing with links to GIS) GRASS GE Utility GIS Tactician (Business Mapping) Manifold Mapping/GIS TrueFlight 3D flythrough software
GIS Data Terra Server (Imagery Data) [Note the search function] ESRI Data CERES California Geographic Data Library EROS Data Center (USGS Earth Resources Observation Systems) US Census Bureau Downloadable Topo Quads at USGS GeoData Institute WWW Home Page National Geospatial Data Clearinghouse USGS Earthshots: Satellite Images of Environmental Change CERES (California Data Links) EPA Spatial Data Downloads Intermap (Elevation data and imagery) AirPhotoUSA LA County Data USGS Topo Quads and other GIS Data for free
Interactive California GIS Maps Interactive GIS Maps of US Wildfires ArcGIS Online web maps